View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
I took apart my unresponsive K3 the other day, and measured the battery voltage. To my surprise there was a grand total of 0V between the '+' and '-' terminals!

There was also 2.8V between either of these and either of the SDA/SDC terminals. I'm not a stranger to I²C, and there are typically pull-up resistors on both the data and clock lines, so maybe that shouldn't be so shocking.

So, here are my questions:
  • Is it normal that there is no voltage whatsoever between the terminals of the battery? (I mean, it could be that there's some kind of I²C handshaking necessary before the battery connects it's cells to the outside world, but it sounds curious.)
  • Is it normal that the battery/kindle I²C connection works with 2.8V? (I'm more used to 3.3V, but hten I haven't worked with modern consumer electronics, where I understand that all voltages creep downwards.)
The battery management is on the SPI controller, not the I2C controller.

No, that is not normal - the battery terminals are battery terminals.

The full charge on the K3 battery brings it up to nearly 4.2v.

The SoC will detect a low voltage condition, slow to appox. 1/10 the normal clock speed and run at 2.8 - - -
Intended I suppose to run "just enough" to control the charger.

It is very likely that battery is dead now from over-discharge.

It is also very likely that the battery management in the Kindle will not be able to recover the battery from that discharge level, although an external Li-Ion charger might be able to do it.

If the K3 is still under warranty - send it home.
That is where mine is headed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote