View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksOnBoard View Post
The hard copy release will still go forward August 2nd. This lag in release time has to do with concerns about eBooks getting to eBook customers in certain time zones before the hard copy book is available.

We’re interested in hearing what MobileRead members have to say – what do you think about eBooks being released after paperbooks? How can we get publishers to acknowledge that eBook readers are a significant (and growing) segment of the reading public?
The question is why the publisher made this call. I can think of two possible reasons: fear that the buyers would buy the ebook version instead of the hardcover, or fear the the customers might get a pirated version of the ebook, and buy no version at all.

I'd call the first fear absurd, and the second not much better. I don't see folks who are enthusiastic enough about the series to buy the hardcover release buying the ebook instead. The majority of the market still likes paper books, If anything, hard core fans might buy both versions. And while piracy is possible, I don't see it as significant. The majority of the book reading public won't be aware of pirated electronic editions, and likely won't have what is needed to read them if they are.

Meyer is published by the Young Readers division of Little, Brown, a Hachette imprint. Interested parties might query them and say "WTF?"
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote