View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I mean, sure a book might cost $27.99 but it also isn't going to wear out after 12 patrons read the book.
It is a rare book that wears out after 12 circulations. Someone is out sick today and I'm sending out interlibrary loan requests. Thought I'd check circulation on a couple of popular titles. I have one book that has been checked out 31 times and is still in very good shape. Another 24 times also in very good shape.

I can buy close to 2 pbooks for the price of one ebook. That eats into my budget pretty fast. But as demand for ebooks grows the money will shift. I'm here to provide to my community what (and how) they want to read. So, again, I stress that we need to know. Call your library and ask for the person who buys the books or if you already have a downloadable lending library ask to speak to the person in charge. Please also remember we are dealing with limited funds. Libraries have taken a big hit in budgets during this downturn. And once again libraries and (some) publishers are in conflict over ebook lending.

As for how Overdrive library licenses work, we do own it as long as we continue to lend it through the Overdrive framework. Right now there is no competition so that isn't a problem.
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote