View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Are you saying that when you change the encoding in GUI that it doesn't work for you? Or that you don't know how to do it via the GUI? Because I've been using that feature in Calibre (most of my DRM books are eReader) and it works for me.
I'm saying that when I change the encoding in the GUI ("Look & Feel" page of the conversion dialog, "Input character encoding") it doesn't work for me, but if I use the CLI ("ebook-convert ... --input-encoding=cp1252") it does work.

I suspect it may be down to a quirk of the packaging for the OS X version which includes its own python binary. When called from the shell ebook-convert is using the system python (at least in the first instance, there's some fancy footwork going on that I'm not sufficiently familiar with Python to be sure about) while the GUI is using the python binary that ships with Calibre.
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote