View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #32
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I think I won't be upgrading from Mountain Lion. Upgrading OSs often brings at least as much headache as joy.

Upgrading to Mavericks may be free, but upgrading my virtualisation software is not. Parallels Desktop want me to pay €50 to them for a Mavericks upgrade. That sucks.
I hear ya. My MacBook Pro came with Lion when I bought it. Didn't like it. (would've much rather had Snow Leopard). I upgraded to Mountain Lion hoping that it would correct the issues that I had with Lion... nope, a slightly worse experience. So when Mavericks was released, I figured why not and installed it.

The first 24 hours with Mavericks was painful... It was clear that there was a lot of one-time initialization, index, prefetch cache creation, etc. After the system settled down, I find Mavericks, performance-wise, to be significantly better than either Lion or Mountain Lion.

As for Parallels. I too was ticked off that they charged to upgrade for every little uptick in OSX. (And no, paying for a bundle that includes Parallels and bunch of junk doesn't make the proposition appealing)

I ended switch to Oracle's VirtualBox. It is free and it recognized my Parallels XP partition. It works great. I like that it is very "clean" on the OSX side and doesn't install a bunch of shadow shortcuts and stuff. Depending upon how you use Parallels, VirtualBox might be a viable alternative.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote