View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
I'm surprised by how readable Leaves of Grass has been, engrossing poetry!
I spent a good amount of time reading biographical information before starting the poems. I'm surprised too at how accessible his poetry has been to understanding and connecting to the reader. I don't read much poetry because I believe many poems try too hard and aren't worth the effort required to puzzle out the author's point. I was also surprised at how long the poems are, but the phrasing just flows together so well that you get caught up in the poem and it's almost like reading a short story. His writing is so grand and sweeping that you can just feel the potential of America that it must have felt like in his time period. Maybe it's because I live in the West and have a different perspective on growth and the Age of Manifest Destiny and the magnificent beauty of nature out here and all that.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote