Thread: Goodbye bookeen
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselda View Post
After nearing two years using of Cybook G3, I finally give up. This device is just not the right one for me and also not the behavior of the company. When I bought the device some features like folder view or so are promised, but never realized, possibly would never be realized ever. And I am tired of waiting for essential features.

The support of PDF file is a hell. For all the pdf documents I have just very few is readable by G3. I read a lot of technical or scientific documents, with tricky formulas and figures, and cannot be handled in any reasonable ebook format. (Do not let me here that ebook device is not for PDF. The company claim that they support PDF, i bought it and I read PDF and it crashes, so the fault of booken, not my problem! It is their responsibility to check and fix the problem, not let us say that we should be reasonable enough not to read PDF on G3!)

Another word about PDF. I know the screen is very small compare to A4, but at least the device should be able to render the page without crashing. As long as it can do the rendering, there are lots of walkaround. But in G3, crashing all the time.

About the 'new dual firmware', and the all the firmware updating history of G3, it is very unpleasant. Long waiting time, no communication with the user, empty promises.

Well, I wish the support of bookeen will be better in the future and the user community will grow and prosper. But I will not be one of it.

Bye.
Concerning firmware updates, most ebook readers are in state or their initial release.
1 update for Sony 505 for ePUB support.
1 initial update for Kindle 2.
No update yet for Kindle DX.
A few updates for iRex iLiad and iRex 1000S. And their OS to me seems most advanced. It has its benefits, if it's not OEMs but developers themselves selling the units.
BeBook has regular updates, I guess its exactly the original ones from Hanlin. Same applies as for iRex.

I miss some features on every single unit. For example, thumbnail view of ebook covers would be phantastic on iRex' huge displays. Same for Kindle 2 and especially Kindle DX. (Both Cybooks for example have that.)

What I want to say by that: I check out, whether I'm okay with the original release of the unit and don't rely on any firmware updates for missing features.
Most users ask for folder support for years from most manufacturers. They either have it from the start - or they don't seem to add it anytime...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote