View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
pi_formance
pi_formance began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
.mobi conversion problems - cover art not showing in K4A & K4Mac, Personal on device

Hi all,

I got my first eReader two days ago, a Kindle Paperwhite and have ran into a couple of problems with sideloaded .mobi files that I sent to the Paperwhite, Kindle Android app and opened in Kindle Mac.

I have converted a couple of my epub books using Calibre to the mobi format. I then sent the files to my Paperwhite and my Android phone using the 'Send to Kindle' app on my Mac. The Paperwhite shows the cover art, however categorises the book as a 'document' and puts the 'Personal' banner on it. The Kindle Android app doesn't show the cover art and neither does the Kindle Mac app when opening the .mobi file. I have spent hours on the internet (google/amazon.com form/mobileread.com forum) and found a number of workaround and supposedly solutions. Unfortunately, none of them solved my problems.
FYI: I have tried the following:
-) Cleared the 'Personal Doc tag' field in the conversion settings.
-) Used '[EBOK]' in the 'Personal Doc tag' field
-) Converted the epub to a mobi file and then converted the mobi file to another mobi file
-) Sent the mobi file directly to the Paperwhite using the 'Connect/share' - 'Email to' function in Calibre.
-) Tried both unticking and ticking the 'Use cover from source file' box in the Conversion screen in Calibre

I have not used Mobi2Mobi and, to be honest, I would prefer not having to.

I am using the latest version of all apps.
Calibre: 0.9.22
Send to Kindle: 1.0.0.218
Kindle Mac: 1.10.5
Kindle for Android: 3.8.2.4 (on a Galaxy Note 2 - non-rooted/non-custom ROM)

Does anyone know what could cause the Paperwhite still classifying the sideloaded .mobi's as personal documents and K4Android and K4MAC not showing cover arts?

Thanks heaps in advance!
pi_formance is offline   Reply With Quote