View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I actually have nostalgic feelings for the Amazon of old (though that doesn't quite seem possible for a commercial web site). Remember when they were brand new, and they would give you a store credit for reporting typos or inaccuracies on their site? I felt like I was PART of something, man!

I remember buying a spiral-bound metalworking book that was defective because the spirals only went through the thin paper that was pasted to the inside of the cover (flyleaf?), and not through the cover material itself. (I feel sure I could describe that better...). So it was a matter of minutes before the entire book came out of the cover. I CALLED Amazon about it, on my land-based (though perhaps not rotary) telephone. They offered me a new one, but I told them any other copy would have the same problem and I just wanted to let them know; I planned to keep the book because I needed it. They either gave me the book for free or gave me a $20 credit - can't remember which.

Remember when they first announced they were branching out from books and music to every product on earth? I remember thinking at each step that it was going to be a disaster, and they were going to RUIN this great online bookstore, this upstart pioneer that I loved. I was not happy about it! This is why I am not a dot-com zillionaire: inability to recognize the moment!
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote