View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Kitabe applies Netflix strategy to audiobooks

I discovered a new website recently, Kitabe.com, which seems to have applied the Netflix method to the audiobook problem. But the best part of the deal is that they distribute their audiobooks on MP3-CD, so that books that would take up 10 CDs can be sent on just one. I didn't even realize that publishers were releasing books in this format.

Interestingly, their faq does not mention ipod-like devices, focusing instead on playing on car and home stereos and computers. Is there DRM in place to prevent copying these files into your DAP? Or are they just not going to mention it to avoid advocating that you copy these files?

Anyway the price is $12.75/month for one audiobook at a time, no late fees, free shipping, etc. They have a decent selection of history and non-fiction, but not extraordinary. They do seem to have plenty of popular fiction. If they can capture a market niche, perhaps their library will continue to grow.

Does anyone have any experience with this site? Sounds like it might be worth pursuing for me, being a dedicated devourer of auditory input. I'd love to hear other's thoughts.