View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
In the end, just under half (43%) are using Gemstar/ETI devices and have not entered the world of e-ink devices. Could backlghting be THAT important?
heu... in direct contradiction to the poster above me, No. not for me, at all. actually i hate the backlighting and wish i could turn it off completely (i am one of those souls who actually *does* stare into a screen for hours, every day, for my work, and my poor eyes are really tired at the end of it). luckily i can turn it down quite low, enough not to really bother me, but it's still noticeable. and with the backlight reduced so much, the display suffers, because the contrast must be ajusted to compensate so i lose a bit of detail. to be honest i don't even really want a "frontlight" or whatever (although i wouldn't refuse it), because i find it much more comfortable to read in ambiant light with a lamp, than in a dark room (horrible eye strain, that).

i don't know what an OLPC screen is but if i interpret correctly and it can switch between backlit and reflective display, then great ! why not. if the quality / resolution etc. is good.

actually i actively covet an e-ink screen, and if ETI does not make one soon (within probably 1 to 2 years, or whatever time it takes for the next generation of e-ink readers to come out *or* the price to drop significantly) i will buy a Gen3 ; what i love about my eb1150 is not the backlight, it's the buttons .
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote