View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually, perhaps the Technology companies took their pricing model from publishers. Publishers have been doing this for a lot longer than most technology companies have existed. Publishers advance authors, pay editors, pay for promotion, initial set up and generally reap this back in the higher price of initial release. Printing a book is really a small part of the costs once the setup is paid for.

Dale
i can see that being true to a point, but 1. there are other costs involved in paper publishing which don't apply to epublishing (transport, storage, inventory management, costs of running a brick and mortar store...) which are significanly higher than even the fabrication costs and which at the least can be reduced if not eliminated completely, and 2. why don't they understand that since the cost of generating more copies is nil for an ebook (not the case for a paper book) they'd do much better to sell more copies at a reasonable price ? i still haven't bought that book i mentioned, and at that price i won't. if it had been priced at 8-10€ (or even less) i would have long ago and i imagine a lot of people are like me. meanwhile i'm frustrated and cranky and harboring ill will towards Gallimard (the publisher of it) because i think they're being unnecessarily greedy.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote