View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #68
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
For good or bad (depending on whether you're trying to actually get somewhere with the book, or just want to go dictionary surfing) the usual electronic dictionary doesn't do that. It just gives you a cold, bare definition, and where's the fun in that?

Ummm, my Sony's dictionary, if you tap on the dictionary icon next to the cold, bare definition, will take you to an ebook page that is exactly like a normal paper dictionary. With hyperlinks to synonyms and such. Haven't come across any illustrations, but I don't find dictionary illustrations all that helpful, generally. Perhaps before you continue to disparage those of us who enjoy our on-board dictionaries (note, I did not say need, I said enjoy), you should try one.

I enjoy mine for all the reasons you seem to hold dear. I want to read things that are "above my grade level" and learn from them. I want to learn more about the words that I THINK I know, origins, alternate meanings, synonyms (which, yes, my Sony's dictionary HAS if you ask for it, which takes half a second). I do not want to be like my high school English teacher who pronounced "Charybdis" "Char-ah-BEED-eze" or my Vet school Anesthesia prof who spelled the device that holds oxygen takes on an anesthetic machine "yolks". I bet they never felt the need to look things up in a dictionary on a regular basis, either.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote