View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
absolutely ! it's one of the things i still love most about paper books, when the cover is really well done. it's one of the big frustration with some series, like the black mask series (in france), for a lot of them they have just plain yellow covers with black letters for all the books. and nrf is a really good publisher but their covers are so boring too ! just cream-coloured with a little border... but there are others which have a distinctive look like Vivian Hamy editions, black background and a black and white photo, so you can instantly recognize the publisher, but each one is distinct. and 10/18 also makes some nice covers. i think french publishers are actually making nicer covers now, overall, than a few years ago. it's one reason i wouldn't mind having a colour liseuse.

i LOVE the films !! i'm completely in love with William Powell (and Myrna Loy, a little bit... although with her, it's more that i wish i could be her ). although they did go downhill towards the end. "the thin man goes home" is pretty terrible. when they FINALLY released all of them on dvd a few years ago i bought myself the boxed set for my birthday. before that only the first one was available (and i had it, of course !). the dvds have nice covers too, luckily.
I bought the box set too I'm a sucker for the movies of the 30's and 40's, just something about them that's...well, I don't know, magical maybe. More romantic, innocent, I can never put my finger on the exact reason. But whenever I'm watching one of those old Black & White movies I feel better for the watching
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote