View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
montie
montie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
A couple of pointers please ?

Hi first may I say that I really enjoy using calibre, I have been 'ebook' reading since I bought my first psion 3 series ! quite a few years.

This post may be a bit of a ramble so sorry in advance.

SO I have a large collection of ebooks that have been converted many times over, read on many devices over the years. Calibre is now my modern choice of software for ebook managment.

Anyway I recently upgraded to prs 505 and it had an accident ! on christmas day I stood on it. So off to sony it went for repair and it has arrived back (100 quid repair charge....) The screen is much better than the original - more crisp than before and it seems to refresh faster.

That aside this has thown up an interesting dilema.

I have my entire ebook collection on an 8 gig SD card which after popping into the sony is working well.

However I have had a historical problem that occasionally the reader crashed and I loose the series information. On attempting to snyc with calibre I have lost the series information from calibre. I do admit that I have been wary of trying again as it means a lot of work sorting it again, so how do I back this collection up ?

Should I download the latest calibre and start from scratch ? Also I used my blackberry with mobireader as well (since the sony had its accident!!), so my current version of calibre was used to convert back to prc files and upload them to the blackberry. I would like to retain the ability to use both devices and the .mobi and .prc options are a little confusing to me - are they not the same format ? I use the .lrf format for sony as I am unsure of the new epub options.

Also I find sometimes conversions can be slow? but worth the wait !

I will finally be looking at putting calibre on my media server - but before I have a go at that Im hoping my minor queries here will give me advice to follow ! (is there someway of sharing the conversion load between more than one pc ?)

All the best

Mark
montie is offline   Reply With Quote