View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
I am very possibly representative of a minority viewpoint on this forum, but I am puzzeled by other folks desire to store thousands of ebooks on their ereaders. I am building my collection and add all my purchases to Calibre, which I backup regularly. But I only keep my to be read books on my ereader, and as I currently have 40 titles on that shelf, I reckon that will keep me in reading material for at least a month, I am wondering if I am a slow reader, or if other folks have a higher 'must store' threshold than mine?
Firstly, because I feel that unused storage on a device is just wasted space. I paid for it, I want to use it. Which is why I get annoyed when they over promise book storage on a device. If you advertise that it can take a 32G microSD card, then the machine should be able to process the amount of files that can be fit on that space without going brain dead. First thing I do with a new ereader is to fill it up and see if it really works as advertised. So far, I've been more disappointed than not.

Secondly I also like having my total library with me. I quit picking my Next Reads ahead of time, because by the time I finish a book, unless my next one was one in the series I was reading, I've probably changed my mind. Much easier to have my library with me to indulge my whims. That's a large part of my love of reading, is my libraries and having them handy. I've had some long, unhappy dry spells I don't intend to live through again.

Third, I read a lot of fanfic. Usually I don't bother with anything smaller than 10 pages, but most are really not much more than that. The numbers can add up fast if you're collecting in a specific fandom. Depending on story size, I can easily burn through quite a few in a week even if they're large 200 pagers. One really bad night I went through 30 stories. 23 were deleted after a page or so, 5 were fairly good stories I enjoyed, and 2 were keepers I've specifically tagged so I won't delete them. No problems zapping the rest since they're all free. And I didn't have to get out of bed to hustle new ones. Still had more than plenty to chose from at any given time. I think a lot of people read stuff that wouldn't be close to a novel in size so burn through them pretty fast.

In case of emergency, they're backup. I do have a ton of backups at home, in a nice media safe, and one daily off-site backup. But having a backup with me is just part of it. I'd rather have them on my machine than on a flash drive. Sometimes, bad things happen and you're doing good to grab a purse, your kids/hubby/pet and leave your belongings to fate.

And as I said before, I've paid for the space. Leaving it empty just seems wasteful.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote