View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #109
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
This is perhaps an unanswerable question prior to release, but here goes:

Since the Nexus 10 has a female micro USB port, and since there's lots of external drives with female mini USB ports, would a micro/mini USB cable (like this one) enable me to mount an external drive?

I don't know if that ability is hardware or software related. If it's software, does anyone know if Android usually lets you mount external devices? If it's hardware, does anyone know if it's common to be able to mount external devices through (what I assume is) a port intended to let you mount the tablet on a computer?

edit: This article leads me to believe that the answer at least isn't a definite no. I'm crossing my fingers, as I'm thinking I'll be getting me one of these come November.

edit #2: Doh! Apparently my question has already been sort of answered. Should've read the thread more carefully.
If you want to connect a portable hard drive to the nexus 10 then i see nothing stopping you UNLESS they removed the USB HOSTING that is on the NEXUS 7(which would be strange indeed for there premium tablet)

A cheap OTG cable allows you to connect UBS keyboards ,NONE powered or powered USB HUBS and other devices.
I could even connect my old Cannon S5IS digital camera up to my nexus and import photos from it easily and im certain my new cannon SX40 super zoom will be able to do the same once i get it .

To access Hard drives or memory sticks/cards all you need to do is buy a OTG cable $1-2 and buy the NEXUS MEDIA IMPORTER for $3.99. It supports all major memory storage formats FAT16,FAT32 and NTFS that almost all hard drives come formatted in these days.
I can plug my samsung 500GB 7200rpm portable hard drive into my nexus 7 and it works great.As well as all my USB memory sticks and memory cards i own.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074111111111.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	95155   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-10 15.11.05.png
Views:	312
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	95157  

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-30-2012 at 11:48 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote