View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it wouldn't. Let's take your viewpoint for a minute. Let's suppose there are four people using your IP connection, not to mention school friends, etc. There is proof that an illegal download was made via your IP connection. How can anyone prove who was actually responsible?

The only sensible way to do it (IMHO) is to handle it the same way that (in the UK at least) traffic offences are handled, which is to prosecute the legal owner of the vehicle, but give them the option of specifying who the actual driver was at the time. If the owner says "I don't know who was driving at the time" then it's the legal owner of the vehicle who gets prosecuted. Their vehicle; their responsibility. But make the punishment fit the crime. You get a £60 fine (about $100) for speeding. Make the fine for illegal downloading something similar. It's this nonsense of fining people millions that's got to stop.

Can you suggest a practical alternative? That's a serious question - I'm interested to know what other options you feel that there are here?
So if I spoof my IP or use a VPN and end up with your IP on the RIAA's logs. You still ok with getting fined thousands of dollars because you didn't make sure I was using your IP? I realize the ISP logs will show the correct IP but the RIAA will throw a lawsuit with little or no proof even if the IP is wrong.

I'm not condoning piracy, but there have been a lot of innocent people slapped with huge fines. Our laws clearly states we are innocent until proven guilty beyond a doubt and that is where the problem lays, there is doubt as to who is actually to blame. The RIAA needs to prove it's cases a bit better.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote