View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I've heard figures from 2-5% representing the proprotion of new computer purchases that are Mac products. I'm not sure if anyone is really sure, hence the range, but the Mac market is far from mainstream in my view. BUT...the Apple name is mainstream, without a doubt. Linux - definitely not so much, somewhere under 2% last I heard, and definitely not a household name.

Here's one related article I just found via google... http://www.serverwatch.com/article.php/3833076 ... it is from back in August last year.

As for problems - I'm sure every OS has issues. I agree that the internal/external memory thing is a doozy. But it was also the same issue on PDA's for a decade...as was total loss of memory when the battery ran out. They still sold.

I see the iPhone OS as horribly flawed because it locks you in to Apple and only Apple approved products.

Right now - I just got the cheapest phone I could because I want to use it as a phone, not a computer. I geek out with the best of them, but all the options, right now, leave me frustrated (windows based units)/waiting for a few more revisions (Android)/resenting their closed nature(iphone).

The NA phone market is different from most of the rest of the world, too, as I understand it. Outside NA, most phones are sold without contract and without being subsidized. Perhaps this affects google's decision, as Verizon doesn't necessarily represent that much of the world market.

p.s., thanks for the clarification of unix->osx
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote