View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by software.enginee View Post
I use forums to get a little help as most of the hacks start out with an assumption that the user HAS already mounted the rootfs. I just needed one item.
I think you are very confused between the terms "rootfs" and "root of the USB partition". No published hack that I know of requires access to the root filesystem. Simply plug the Kindle into your Mac, and copy the install bin's to the Kindle -- if you feel daring: while most hacks lack the potential to cause serious harm to your device, you can certainly mess things up for a while if you fail to follow the instructions to the letter.

As far as Jean-Yves being rude, he wasn't. He was just being perfectly honest. To reiterate what rfog wrote, if you lack knowledge of UNIX (or GNU/Linux), the Kindle is not the platform you want to learn on.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote