View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I doubt that solar charging would be practical on a bicycle trip.

If you have or are willing to get a dynohub, Busch & Müller have a dynohub powered charger that can be set to provide a wide variety of voltages and currents. The e-werk also has an option to connect its own rechargable battery which will continue to recharge your device while the bicycle is not in motion and provide additional voltage smoothing while the bicycle is in motion. The battery can be removed and used to recharge and/or power devices at night. The e-werk is not cheap, but it is compact and should be water tight and reliable

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ewerk.asp

Schmidt, Shimano, and Sanyo all make good dynohubs. There is a wide range of price and performance. Part of the performance is drag. None have high drag, so it is up to you how much to pay to reduce drag, reduce maintenance, etc.

I don't have direct experience with the e-werk, but Peter White does not sell junk. I do have a Schmidt dynohub that has been in daily use for over 12 years and I have been very happy with.

BTW, there are now some very good dynohub powered LED bicycle headlights with shaped beams available now. They put out plenty of light and put it on the road where it belongs.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote