View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
JoeFloyd
JoeFloyd doesn't litterJoeFloyd doesn't litter

Device: kindle
For those who live in an area that has full web access, downloading files using the experimental web browser does not incur a fee. So, downloading books from your own personal Calibre Content Server is free.

The terms of service for the Kindle do state that free web access may become a fee based service at some point. But, for the moment, free web access includes free file downloads. The web browser limits which file types can be downloaded. The current list is TXT, MOBI, PRI, and I think HTML. PDF is not a current format that the browser will download.

The Kindle email account associated with your Kindle me@kindle.com can be used by Calibre to automatically send a periodical to your Kindle after it has been generated by Calibre. This service is what has the 15c/MB fee. On the Manage You Kindle page at Amazon there is a section called Your Individual Charges , but it seems that Amazon may not be actually charging for this service just yet.

Based upon what has been posted by Amazon concerning the Kindle Development Kit and application data usage limits. The KDK guidelines state that free apps can use up to 100 KB per month for free. Apps that use more than 100 KB month must be used as part of a monthly subscription. My guess is that once the Kindle Apps starting rolling out, all Kindle data usage may be lumped into the Kindle Apps monthly subscription plan.
JoeFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote