View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
Hi all, I hope I'm not becoming tiresome with the questions I've been asking lately!

Okay, so I now know that if I lose my Sony PRS-T2 I'm fine because I can just sync the replacement to my PC and my books and my notes will be synced to the new device assuming the replacement is a PRS-T2, right?. The quotes I've highlighted and uploaded to Evernote will be there because Evernote runs on the cloud so it'll always be there.

However, what happens if my PC crashes and my hard drive dies? If I sync my PRS-T2, which is the last copy of my e-books and highlights, would the Reader software look at my PC and think that the PC is the most 'up to date' and therefore it'll wipe out my PRS-T2? How would this work?

Also, in the case where the PRS-T2 dies and the PC is fine, what would happen if the replacement Reader device I buy is a Sony PRS-T3 or a PRS-T1 and not the PRS-T2? I wish Sony had a cloud solution for everything...

Thank you for any help!
Here is how the sync works (from my experiences with Reader and Reader the PC app).

The very first sync will create a sync reference on the PC app per connected device. Then, any change(addition/deletion) on the PC app library will be candidates for next sync. Any book addition & deletion on the Reader will not affect the library in the PC app. Think of the PC app as a master and the device as a slave. For annotations, they will if made on different locations on the same book, otherwise the latest one will override. You can simply remove a ticker at the sync screen to turn it off.

If your PC crashes and T2 is OK, everything on T2 will stay safe even after sync with a fresh new PC app with no books because there is no reference of sync candidates. So, copy all books on T2 to the PC app's library by the PC app (not folder or file copy) by the copy to library icon found at the left bottom of the app. This will also copy annotations. Then, run sync manually to create the latest sync reference. Any change at the PC app from this point will be reflected to the Reader.

If your T2 dies and your PC is OK, just connect a new one and the PC app will do everything; from authorization to copying all the books and annotations on them in the library to the new device. The new one does not have to be the same T2. Older and newer models of Reader will do the work, but to maintain 100% compatibility of all annotations, the same T2 is recommended, but T1 or T3 should be fine as long as your annotations are highlighted texts and memo in them.