View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Agreed. But no pirate sites I've seen charge the "going rate" for ebooks.
That's the rub.
A local jeweler was charged with buying stolen merchandise. Gold and diamond jewelry. He did not know they were stolen, but they were prosecuting him because they claimed he paid to low a price and should have known they were stolen.
He got off when his defense brought in expert witnesses who were able to prove that the prices he bought at were comparable to what pawn shops and other businesses were paying.
(Rant ON)
A word of advice, if you sell jewelery at a pawn shop or any of these so called "gold buying" establishments you are getting ripped off. Yes they are buying gold a scrap value, but they are paying 10% to 20% of the scrap value in most cases. Or less in some cases. Gold today is $1775.50 a Troy Ounce. Platinum is less at $1700.00 a Troy Ounce. If you have a Diamond ring weighing 20 Penny Weights that is 1 Troy Ounce. If the gold in the ring is 14K it is 58.5% gold and the rest is made up of differing amounts of alloys.
The value of the gold in the ring is $1332.00. Most places will offer you less than $300.00. I have seen people take this price. And that is for just the gold. The buyer got the diamonds for free. Oh and there is no such thing as scrap value for diamonds.
My sister in law once pawned an antique 2.50 carat Platinum and Diamond ring worth $27,000.00 for $3,000.00. (/Rant Off)
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote