View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #15
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
I think the "sleep" mode to shut down solution was a patch for the known issues with battery life.
I agree. But I think it's a very poor "solution".

This is my take on it:

Kobo realised that a large number of units were experiencing very fast battery drain if they were left on. They couldn't pinpoint why this was happening, so to "fix" the problem they decided to automatically power down the Reader after 15 minutes inactivity.

I can't think of any other reason they would have taken such a heavy handed approach to conserving battery life.

Personally I'm Ok with that. I always power my Kobo Reader off when I'm not using it anyway. But I think it is disappointing that Kobo don't seem to have actually fixed the poor battery life issues at all. They just implemented a shonky workaround.

Now, I could be completely wrong. Perhaps Kobo have made other changes in the firmware update that improve battery consumption, but the only new battery saving feature I've seen advertised by Kobo is the auto-shutdown "feature".
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote