View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Year of Wonders had me until I read "lure of illicit love" and then I ran screaming from the room. I'm probably wrong, but the description gave me the Heebie Jeebies. When a book says something my mom would read I tend to pass. She's too historical doorstopper for my liking. Book suggestions between us generally run one direction only.
I also have bad vibes about this one - partly it is prejudice (I tend not to like journalists that turn to literature, and as Geraldine Brooks is Australian I fear the over-research a la Philip Roth to show how into the typical seventeenth century Derbyshire town), partly because of the many Italian classics that deal with the effects of contagious diseases in general and the plague in particular on all sorts of social classes, you name then, they've done it. But I know I am sounding sooo very smug, conceited and stuck up that I'll have to bite the bullet and read it
paola is offline   Reply With Quote