View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Guys, I don't think that balok is being hostile, it seems to me that he's disappointed and probably a bit angry.

I can understand that sentiment entirely.

You weren't around at the time, HarryT and JSWolf, but if you'll take a look back at the posts from around the beginning of June '06, when Hanlin, Sony and iRex had all three just missed their projected launch dates, you'll see why. Those three were the first ever e-ink devices and the ... anticipation was ... very strong. There were a lot of normally level-headed people whose posts at that moment in time would have made balok's look like the ravings of a Fan-Boy by comparison.

In fact, the outcry was so pronounced that iRex eventually (after about 3 weeks, I think) agreed to sell units with "unfinished" firmware to those willing to sign a waiver that they understood that the device was unfinished. There are two (I think) entire threads here full of people making that statement so they could get a chance to order the thing unfinished.

Now that being said, and even given the fact that I do understand your irritation, balok, I also know from that experience that deadlines get missed. Launches get pushed, and generally (from the iLiad experience), it's better to wait an extra month or even three for a product that actually does what it was designed to do, rather than one that's not there yet. In this instance, as HarryT pointed out, a lot of the delay appears to be external to Bookeen, so even if the device is ready for prime-time at this very second, they can't build the things without the ruddy parts.

Of course, that is a great deal easier to see, and to say, from the other side of the wait, particularly when I already have my device of choice sitting on the shelf next to my desk.

For those waiting for the Gen3, I'm sorry for your pain, I've felt it myself, and for longer than a mere month. But, I can also tell you that at this stage you'll be happier with the device once you get it, if they take the time now to finish it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote