View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I'm OK with a a course focusing on male writers, just as I'm OK with a course which focuses on females writers. "Leading Female Authors of the 18th Century", etc. In an advanced literature course, it can be valuable to select a very narrow subset of authors, themes, styles, etc. I would hate for an introductory course to contain such a limited view.

Gilmore says, "I teach modern short fiction to third and first-year students. So I teach mostly Russian and American authors." I think this is too narrow a sample of authors for such a broad course. But if the course were to be described as "Post World War II short fiction from the two major super-powers of the Cold War, America and Russia", then his selection of authors would certainly be appropriate.

I tried to come up with some ludicrous examples in other disciplines --- Introduction to Biology, with an instructor who doesn't include arachnids because he doesn't like spiders. In a general course, an instructor is harming his students when he fails to include a broad and representative sample. In an advanced or specialized course, it certainly makes sense that the instructor may have very limited or restricted content -- and as long as this is made known to students in advance, that's OK with me.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote