View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #697
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I grew up using feet, inches, pounds and ounces. They tried to give us the metric system but there was so much resistance, it was abandoned after the first year's efforts. I knew that a meter was a bit more than a yard, and a kilo... well... as a child of the 60's we all knew what a kilo weighed...

Then I moved to Asia, where it's ALL metric. In Japan, meats are sold in 100gm units. Distances and speeds are all kilometers. And surprisingly, I had no trouble switching my thinking. These days I think metrically. Even scuba diving... I figure my depth in meters and my tank pressures in bars. But... Altitude... I simply can not think of mountains in anything other than feet! No trouble with my physical height in meters or centimeters, but mountains? Gotta be in feet! Go figure!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote