View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Customizable Toolbars yes/no?

I've started working in integrating a new BookView (BV) editor this weekend. I have a proof of concept working so this is going to happen. There is still quite a bit of work to get it fully integrated but before I get too far into it I want to get some community feedback on the toolbars in particular.

A bit of background on the new editor. It's powered by CKEditor (CKE). One of the reasons I decided on it because it has HTML5 support (will be necessary for EPUB 3). TinyMCE was the other major contender but TinyMCE had serious performance issues.

Due to the design of CKE I will be including it in Sigil as files in the installation directory instead of embedding it in the executable. This the same as how dictionaries and translation files are currently distributed. With that in mind CKE has a configuration file which allows for customizing the look and behavior of the component to a great extent.

Sigil currently has a set of tool bars for changing the formatting in BV. CKE provides its own toolbars for this very same purpose. I can remove CKE's and hook the toolbars from the ain window into CKE. This isn't difficult but it will be more work to do this. The alternative is to remove the formatting toolbars form the main window and use CKE's. This is easier but detracts from the overall look of the application. FYI, I have no intention of making the formatting toolbars work in CodeView (CV) in the future.

Now back to that configuration file CKE has. It allows you to specify toolbars! You specify what you want and where you want them. What I can do is have a default config file in the installation folder and allow for user configuration files that would override the global one. Just like we do with dictionaries. I haven't looked into what else CKE allows to be configured via the config file but I'm sure there are other things it allows.

So, what do you think? Keep the current toolbar or use the CKE toolbar?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote