View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Sony Reader Owners: What Are Your Initial Impressions Of The PRS-T1?

Actually, anyone can answer the poll (obviously), but I was curious what Sony Reader owners think of the PRS-T1 so far.

Personally, I'm not thrilled. I often try and update my electronics to the newest, so I'll probably be getting a new reader by year's end with all the new models coming, and sell my 950. Before the announcement, I really thought I'd get the next generation Sony. Now, I'm not so sure. Unfortunately, I may be jumping brands, or there's a chance I may stick with my 950 for another generation.

The pros of the new reader:

-Lighter weight. My 950 is lighter than my previous reader, but even still I'd love an even lighter reader.

-Probably/maybe a little faster than the older models. I would definitely like a faster reader, not really for page turns which seem fast enough for me, but for when I connect to the internet or am using the menu or highlighting, etc.

-Longer battery. This one I couldn't care less about. My 950 already lasts plenty long enough.

-Dual-touch screen. Big plus for me, the biggest pro I think. Don't know how much I'd use it in practise but it just seems cool and sounds useful. There have been a few PDFs I've read where this would've made things go much faster I think.

The cons:

-Only one size. The only reason I got my 950 over the 650 was for internet and 2-page landscape mode, but I've grown to like the size. I could easily live with a 6" though, but less options are always a con.

-Plastic. This one I don't care too much about, but after having the 950 I admit I am partial to the metal.

-Stylus does not fit in reader. This one is important. I could see this easily annoying me.

-Probably no landscape 2-page mode. Actually I'm not sure if it has landscape or not, but only the 7" 950 had it before, so I'd guess not. I know most people wouldn't care about this, but I read in 2-page landscape almost exclusively so it'd be annoying to switch.

-The cases look cheaper than the previous gen's cases.

-Is it true we can't use the reader store with the wifi? You could with the 3G 950. That'd be a big con for a 950 user who did buy books from the reader, like me.

So right now I'm lukewarm on this new model. I'm still curious to hear more as more hands-on reviews come out and see one for myself. It is definitely NOT one I will have to pre-order or run and get first thing (which I would've been willing to do if it had excited me). It's thrown my expectations out the window, as I was expecting an exciting new model that I'd get, and now I'll be shopping around and maybe even just keeping my 950 over a new one.

Last edited by sun surfer; 09-04-2011 at 12:43 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote