View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringNovelist View Post
It varies by style and genre, really. If you are really going to go high adventure and make it like a comic book or old movie serial, you probably don't need to be AS accurate (especially if your hero is defying the laws of gravity and such).

However, every small inaccuracy can add up - so your best bet is to read up on the subject. Not just on the facts, but look for travel pictures and things. Read existing novels on the subject. (Remember that Hollywood gets to be more inaccurate than books do, because psychologically "seeing is believing" and they don't use words for everything. If a movie hero uses a gun, it's just there - but if you don't know the terminology for the gun, then your description in a novel will show your lack of knowledge.)

Some very good tips.

I read a lot on the genre, so I have a good idea how they work. I understand the descriptions of guns, what is what I liked about Rollins. He will tell you what it is, and basically have the character think about the weapon if you know what I mean. For like the description. I may start with short stories until I can perfect it.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote