View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #27
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
All of the major sellers use a proprietary format. Even if it's bundled in ePub, putting proprietary DRM on it makes it no better than Kindle books in that regard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You make a point, however most sellers use a single DRM system that permits the user to buy the same product from a number of sellers. It is generally not the seller but the publisher that establishes DRM. But to keep this information correct, Apple does use a proprietary DRM scheme. However the reader can use non-DRM products formatted in industry standard ePub or PDF formats.

Dale
As Dale points out, the DRM on most epub sites is the industry standard Adobe Digital Editions DRM. Barnes & Noble is the exception: they are using a DRM picked up from the old Palm eReader. I read recently that as of the latest preview for Adobe Digital Editions, B&N's DRM has been added to the standard. The preview should be able to open NookBooks, but doesn't currently support side loading to a device from ADE. This will still require updates to the SDK version used in the readers' firmwares to support the new standard, though. Hopefully this will happen and then almost all readers will be able to buy from any store, except Amazon and Kindle.

Amazon recently sent me a survey about MP3s, ebooks, apps, etc. I assume it was research for the successor to the Kindle Fire... I suggested that they sell epubs... I would buy from them for my Sony Reader if they did.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote