View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #6460
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
This is off topic but actually Kobo is owned by Rakuten, a Japanese company.
As a result, they have strict policy in Japan.
I can't change countries, or "travel" as you say. My Japanese credit card is linked to my Japanese address. There is no alternative payment method such as paypal. My IP always redirects me to rakuten.kobobooks.com. It is impossible for me to open kobobooks.com
I don't want to rain on your parade, but this "traveling" might be a temporary thing, and Japanese may very well decide to enforce order on other Kobo sites as well.

I hope they don't though
I wouldn't be too afraid. From France I can only access the French website and when I was in England it was the .co.uk one. It's really linked to the IP address.
Regarding the PayPal thing, I don't remember seeing it as an option on many websites in Japan. I don't know how popular it can be now, but then the payment options were credit card or conbini.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote