View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
RAH, so let me get this straight. If the power is at 70% when I remove it from the box, I should use it until it drains to 20% and after that recharge it. In this time, if the drainage will encounter too quickly I know that it's damaged. And, If the power is already low when I get it from the box, I have no other choice than charge it and examine its behavior overnight.

Is this correct?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
EDIT: What does "top it off" means? Overcharge it?
I discovered that with both of my faulty Nooks that there is a charging technique that STOPS the rapid discharge problem. I detail it in several "versions" in that other thread, as I discovered them, but here is a summary. This assumes that you have a faulty Touch:

1) Let you Nook discharge down to about 25 or 30%

2) Use the charger (or the PC/USB cable connection if you don't have a charger) to charge it to 100% . This usually takes about exactly 2 hours with the charger (wait till the green light comes on).

3) Use the Nook and/or leave it alone (let it go to sleep) for a long enough time for the charge to drop to about 90% or less. If you have a rapidly-draining Touch, this should be say 10 hours or so.

4) Charge the Nook again, "topping it off" back up to 100% using either the charger or the PC/USB connection. Once you have done this, the Touch will no longer drain rapidly, but just the expected 2-4% per day, whether in use or in sleep (with WiFi OFF).

In my experience, using the PC/USB charge for step 4 might work better. I have NEVER had my faulty TOUCH continue to rapidly drain after performing step 4 (until the next time I charged it as in step 1, of course).

The annoyance here is that you have to do this double-charging technique each time it needs to be charged. But it does work and I have been using my 2nd faulty Touch for over 6 months like this.

Hope this helps. Don't panic. You did the right thing in buying a Nook over a Kindle, IMHO.

Last edited by RAH; 04-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote