View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #881
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
For some PDFs some Turkish characters (ğ,ş,İ,) are missing when I try to display it on Kindle using KPV. I suppose this is related with the font. How can I use a diferent font to display this characters correctly?
Instead of fiddling with fonts in KPV, maybe it would be much easier to embed fonts in your pdf? One way to do this (on a Linux box) is to use this:

Code:
$ gs -o TurkishCharacterTest-new.pdf -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress TurkishCharacterTest.pdf
You'll need ghostscript installed for this, but I think it's installed by default on most distros.

If you use windows, I'd suggest you to install VirtualBox, and some Linux distro as a virtual machine. Having access to a Linux box is quite handy, and fortunatelly, today's computers have so much disk space that you won't even notice it's there .

Someone might suggest that there's a ghostscript for windows too, but I'd still recomend you to keep a Linux VM .

Now, about the line above: I didn't come up with this myself. I got it from here, and simplified it a bit. If you look at the original version, you'll see that there's -sFONTPATH option, that would allow you to specify the locations where the fonts are. I didn't use this, and it automatically replaced Arial with Helvetica and Times New Roman with NimbusRomNo9L on my Ubuntu 12.04 VM.

You'll notice that the resulting file is noticeably smaller. I didn't use this before. I was intrigued by your post and did a bit of research. This might not work for all files. But I think you might find it useful anyway.

I hope it helps.

A version of your file after I ran this command is attached bellow.

Regards,
Kai771
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TurkishCharacterTest-new.pdf (20.2 KB, 485 views)
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote