View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #45
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_pb View Post
OK, so having deleted /var/local/system/mntus.params the Kindle now reboots - back to that dreaded "...needs repair..." screen.

So whatever may be causing the problem has not been fixed by overwriting the system folder with mmcblk0p1.img

I suppose in this state it is not likely to be possible to launch the Amazon firmware update process again?

Seeing that's what screwed it up in the first place, maybe if it were to complete properly this time, it would then work.

Alternatively what would be the easiest way to copy a complete drive image of healthy Kindle to the /us partition and from there try to overwrite everything on the bad one?

Considering the /us is formatted in fat32, is it possible to preserve permissions correctly if one were to use dd?
If the startup scripts cannot mount the usb drive mmcblk0p4, they reformat it and repopulate it. The same for the /var/local drive mmcblk0p3. However, when my touch was bricked and I tried copying /dev/zero to them, it did not work.

From diags SSH, try:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K

then reformat.

And does your mmcblk0p1 have a good image on it? You can copy that from the usb drive (exported in diags) to /dev/mmcblk0p1. If you can mount the usb drive manually, it should be okay.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote