View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Who called that? That's right, I did. And once again the chicken littles are shown to be wrong. The sky isn't falling. B&N and Amazon are not being kicked off the iPad.

Lee
Indeed. I remember during the older thread, when people were excoriating Apple for not being clearer about whether the policy applied to ebooks, I said that was because they were NEGOTIATING the issue with Amazon and the booksellers . Oh no, they said , it was because Apple was EEEVUUL, etc, etc, etc.
Well, I was right again.
People here are consumers, so its natural that they just didn't understand business negotiations. In negotiations, you typically take maximalist positions in public, and negotiate in private from there.
I'm sure Apple wanted Amazon and BN to agree to in-app purchasing on their terms. Of course, Amazon et al. wanted to continue to remain-rent-free- on one of the most popular and lucrative merchandising platforms on Earth. In the end, they compromised.
The booksellers can stay on the platform, but they lose the ability and convenience of selling directly from apps on the platform. Consumers have to buy content elsewhere, but they can continue to read it on Ios devices. For a lot of tech savvy consumers, that's OK.
Apple OTOH, maintains the attractiveness of its platform by having the popular ereader apps remain on the platform, as well as the (perhaps even more important) Netflix and other video apps. It also enhances the advantage of its iBooks app. Less savvy consumers will more likely purchase from the iBooks app, with its one click purchasing from the same window the consumer reads from. Heck, if iBooks beefs up its selection and its recommendation/search engine to anything even close to Amazon's, we will see a LOT of movement of consumers toward iBooks on Ios devices.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote