View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
Sony Reader Library and eBook Store, Any Good?

Okay. I am now a very happy owner, week-long of a prs-650 through the Borders deal. Its sleek and sexy and though it isn't red, that is but a quibble. Love the screen. Love being able to read while eating. Love that I can read my digital books without my glasses reflecting the glare of an lcd while the laptop burns a hole in my pants.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what people thought of the Sony bookstore and the Reader Library. Most of my digital books up 'till now are either kindle for pc, html, or a free pdf download. I installed Calibre as soon as I got my 650 home, so is it worth registering with the Sony store and installing the software? Are there any stores other than amazon and google that people would recommend for well formatted ebooks? I realize their are lists in the wiki but I was looking for personal impressions.

I'd appreciate any insight.

On a side note, I created my own e-book from this classic and amazing article:
http://fathom.lib.uchicago.edu/2/21701757/
The HTML formating on the page was over-run by a crazy number of tables, and so the pictures weren't showing up on the epub on my Sony. I recreated the html from scratch without tables or font tags, added a table of contents and a cover. Then converted it to epub. It was fun to just play around with Calibre's formating and meta-data and see what it could do.

Next up, I'm trying the public libraries digital library.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote