Thread: Hall of Shame
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
'Zionism, the Real Enemy of the Jews, vol 1:The False Messiah, published by Clarity Press www.claritypress.com, downloaded as a sample from Amazon as Kindle for PC, and read on my ECO Reader.

This is the worst formatted ebook I have ever read.

I hardly know where to start.
- there are many lines of text in which there are no spaces at all between the words. E.g. unconditionalsupportforIsraelisnotinAmerica'sownbe stinterests.Infact

I know that's hard to believe, but it's there, along with many others.
- There are many footnotes in the text. They numbers are full size font, thus requiring a noticeably increased line space. And the foot notes don't even work! At all!
- Some paragraphs are indented, some are not.
- There are many occasions in which the last word of a sentence is followed by a period, and then there is the first word of the next sentence without any space.
- Subheadings are not marked off in any way, so that one never knows whether it's a subheading or a single sentence paragraph.
- I suspect that the print book uses 'pull-quotes', i.e. short sentences which are taken out of the text, and put in a box at the side in a darker font, with the rest of the text flowing around the pull-quote. In this ebook version the pull-quote just appears at the side of the page, and the text starts again after it. All that does is to repeat the text for no obvious reason. And though pull-quotes can be effective in books and websites they occur so often in this ebook that they become a distraction.
- The absolute crowning example though is that one of the _author's_ previous books, Waiting for the Apocalypse, is cited as Waiting for the Apocalpyse.

I certainly won't be buying this ebook.

I would like to see something like the Ig-nobel annual prize for the worst formatted ebook which is sold each year. Perhaps we could make nominations and have the moderators (many of whom upload superbly formatted ebooks) choose the 'winner'. I nominate this book for 2010.

--
Regards, Alex

The version at Amazon remains unchanged.

Last edited by AlexBell; 05-25-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Update
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote