View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Talking Look how far we've come .... 8D

First let me be clear that I don't mean these comments in any sort of snide or disparaging manner, 'cause I can see that they might come across that way, and I'd like to avoid confusion and offense that I don't intend.

That being said, I find the situation we're now in genuinely amusing.

Before the Reader came out, a majority of folks on MR were concerned primarily with the hardware, and whether it would be 'open' enough to allow free range of usage. Folks were doubtful about what formats it would use, and whether we'd be able to have any access to the OS/software. And almost all the comment on the content Sony was going to offer was in the vein of, "I won't use it, and they really shouldn't offer content and hardware both, as it's a disincentive to them to be responsive to the customers about either."

Now we've gotten our collective mitts on the thing, confirmed that we can use a fair (if small) range of file types, concluded that it's generally a dandy piece of hardware and the onboard software is fine, but not great, and already done a yeoman's job of hacking it (thanks to a truly gifted and clever few in particular -- you know who you are, there are enough of you that I won't do a list for fear of leaving someone out -- my hat is off to you).

So what are we concerned about now? Nothing other than the online store and the content in it that we were sure we wouldn't use, and they shouldn't offer in the first place. That just strikes me as funny.

I'm not trying to suggest that there aren't problems with the Connect Store or with the quality of some of it's offerrings, but I have to appreciate the irony of us now being most concerned with the parts of the package we were sure we didn't want and wouldn't use.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote