View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
My "Unread" library in Calibre currently has 1318 books in it. A few hundred of those were potentially-interesting freebies, which I don't feel any particular compulsion to finish (although I'm not discounting them as I may well read some of them), the rest are bought-and-paid-for books that I really should read at some point.

Then there are a few hundred (exact count unknown) paper books still lying around unread...

I'm under no illusion that I'll manage to read everything - even if I didn't buy new books to read, which is a pretty impossible thing to do as people for some reason keep releasing new books I want to read.

I do, however, want to get to a point where I read more than buy, so that the TBR list will start decreasing this year (by however much, even if it's just by ten books overall!) instead of increasing further. And I'll do my absolute best to stay away from new "this looks like something I might maybe be interested in some day" purchases/downloads and only acquire new books I have every intention to read.
I got over freebies (a waste of effort and a nuisance for the unreadable) a long time ago; otherwise, this is me, too. So far this year, I'm down one book net on my TBR, but I plan to pick up the pace. I hope by keeping a record of what I buy, I can restrain myself better. This has been a learning month. Ideally, I'd like to have a consistent TBR of about a hundred books, which would give me plenty of choice but would still seem readable in the reasonably near future.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, though. The expense has been trivial in the grand scheme and storage issues are non-existent. I compare that to my perfume collection, for example, where I also own far more than I can consume in my lifetime, purchased at quite some expense, difficult to store, and prone to deterioration (also a consideration with ebooks, if you don't stay on top of things).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote