View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #27
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just because a book won an award does not mean it deserves the award. The award is based on some people's opinion. The award is not fact based. It also means that mediocre books can get a Hugo. And in this case, a wrong one. I do know of other people who have given up because the dolphins were just not good characters.
Jon, your back must get sore carrying such a large chip on your shoulder.

I simply pointed out that your opinion is in the minority in the science fiction community. The Hugos, since they are voted on by the members of World Con, are essentially a popularity contest. So a win means that the winner was rather popular in a given year.

And while I am at it, I will point out that Startide Rising also won a Nebula which means it was generally highly regarded by other Science Fiction authors and a Locus award. Yes, perhaps it is not a good novel.. but sooner or later, with enough awards and enough sales, one has to ask the question if they might be seeing something there that you don't see.

You don't like the novel. We get that, but you not liking a novel does not mean it is not a good novel.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote