Thread: web2lrf
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #173
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kovid, you have a terrible little bug in web2lrf... maybe not so a bug as a design oversight...

For the last 5 hours I have been attempting to create a The New Yorker user profile, and no matter what I did, the code only retrieved TWO articles from the site... I tried everything... and then I realized what was the problem.

Your code that checks the oldest_article variable... It starts at the top of the feed and continues down, checking each article's date. When it finds an article older than the number in oldest_article, it stops checking subsequent articles. WELL! The RSS feeds on TNY website are not sorted by date, but by some quasi-alphabetical sort, so when this code finds an old article at the very top of the feed (very very likely), it doesn't grab the newer ones which are lower in the listing.

Please fix this so it checks each and every article in the list.

I have uploaded the The New Yorker profile with its oldest_article variable set to 90, it was the only way I could get the newer articles. When you fix the bug, fix the profile accordingly. Everything else about it works fine.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote