View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Hello my fellow good readers.

I see that there are several recommendations to the Diskworld by Sir Terry Pratchett.
I read one book of the series a (long) time ago, and came to the conclusion (then) that it was more like Sir Pratchett had stolen the idea of Douglas Adams and tried to sneak off money of Adams' H2G2. Note that the Diskworld book (of which I don't remember the title of) was the first read book after the (first time read of) H2G2

So, my question is, preferrably to the readers who have read "The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"; should I give Sir Pratchett a new chance or would I still be too biased?
I've placed the first 5 books in my Amazon wishlist ready to be one-clicked should I get convinced in buying/reading Diskworld.
I bet you read Colour of Magic or The Light Fantastic. Both were written before the series really hit its stride, and parody various fantasy writers. The series gradually acquired much greater depth and complexity. I'd suggest you try one of the later books such as "Guards! Guards!". Or "Wyrd Sisters" if you like Shakespeare. If those catch your interest you can go back and fill in.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote