View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #12
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My main love is 19th century novels, and in those one comes across lots of words that are NOT in common use today, largely connected with things like dress, and "technical vocabulary" associated with horse-drawn transport, for example.

Eg, WITHOUT looking in a dictionary, could you tell me what the difference between a "Chaise", a "Phaeton", and a "Gig" are? They are all types of horse-drawn carriages, but what precisely is the difference between them?

I couldn't answer any of these questions without a dictionary. The excellent Unabridged Chambers dictionary I use on my Gen3 told me what all these words meant at the click of a button.
Well... I have exactly the same problem. Just now I'm reading The Pickwick Papers (by the way, many, many thanks for this beatiful ebook, HarryT). I'm not a native english speaker, and if that terms are difficult for you, you can imagine what they are for me!

HarryT... can you give more information about this dictionary? I googled it but didn't find anything useful.

Obnubilate, mendacious, opossum, akimbo, slovely, inchoate, confabulation, pulchritude, persiflage, parturient, sycophancy, deciduous, phatic, marigold, felching, vicarious, cuckold....

Nice list of words! I can guess some of them because of their latin origin (and the similarity to the Spanish ones): obnubilate, mendacious, inchoate, confabulation, pulchritude, parturient...

Regards,
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote