View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineNH View Post
My first computer was a Commodore 64. I remember having to boot the OS with a 5-1/4" disk before I could play with the computer.
hmm I had a C64 as well (the chocolate coloured keys and light brown case), the OS is hardcoded on a chip, you don't have to boot the OS on a floppy. In fact I didn't even have a floppy drive with my C64 initially, just a tape drive. Only the games and apps had to be loaded from tape.
Later I bought a 1541 floppy drive and again games loaded off that, not the OS.
The main reason I bought my C64 was to play Elite on it.

Quote:
Then I went to college, and had to get a 286 PC for my programming classes. I sacrificed an RGB monitor (went with an amber monitor) in order to spring for the 40 MB hard drive. Didn't get Windows (3.1) for another year or so. My first computer job was programming COBOL on Wang mainframes! We didn't start playing on the internet until my next job - sys admin on Unix machines.
I later bought the Commodore Amiga, the Amiga 1500, which was like the 2000, but minus the HDD and it had 2 floppy drives.
The first PC I bought was a 486 4*25mhz pc (multi core bringing speed up to 100mhz)
It ran windows 95 and I got the Voodoo 1 video card for it to play Quake.

I used to use the Wang VS1000 programming RPG2, but that was a VERY long time ago.
I program on in Iseries (as400, I5 etc) boxes now using RPGILE and other stuff.

Quote:
My now-15 year old son has grown up with computers, ever since he could maneuver a mouse with his hand (about 2 yrs old).
Yeah my kids have ipods, tablets, 3ds, we share a few PCs, ereaders etc etc..
I showed them what the c64 looked like a while back on an emulator, they thought it was cute and even had a bit of fun playing "yie ar kung fu".. ...

Last edited by danskmacabre; 12-09-2012 at 08:09 PM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote