View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
My first computer was a Commodore 64. I remember having to boot the OS with a 5-1/4" disk before I could play with the computer. Then I went to college, and had to get a 286 PC for my programming classes. I sacrificed an RGB monitor (went with an amber monitor) in order to spring for the 40 MB hard drive. Didn't get Windows (3.1) for another year or so. My first computer job was programming COBOL on Wang mainframes! We didn't start playing on the internet until my next job - sys admin on Unix machines.

My now-15 year old son has grown up with computers, ever since he could maneuver a mouse with his hand (about 2 yrs old). We've gone through just about all the tablets and smartphones in my family. My husband has a collection of laptops, but no tablets, just an iPhone 4. I had a Sony PRS-650 (after a long string of PDAs) before getting into Kindles (I've gone through Kindle 3, Kindle Fire 1st gen, and now Kindle PW); I've also had iPad 1, iPad 2, and now iPad mini. My son has gone through Nook Color, Nook Tablet, and now has a Nexus 7 (the first model, only 8 GB) and wants the Nook HD+ for reading Manga. They certainly have their uses, and many are very affordable at this point. My daughter manages most of online interaction on a Kindle Fire (1st gen) and a netbook. The days of spending $1200 on computers is pretty much gone! For that much, we can get just about one of everything.
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote