View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrend405 View Post
This would be great. Can you tell me how you set up Star Office to save a book correctly formatted for the reader. I've tried this in the past but never could get it to work.
I will give you the steps and settings I use for my reader, adjust them as needed for your reader (these should also work with OpenOffice.org):

- I create the ebook as an OpenDocument text file, formatting it like any other word processing document and save it in that format. For ease of formatting I use styles, and I use a base font size of 14 points (the smallest text on the page is that size and everything goes up from there).

- I set the page size to 3.5 inches by 4.75 inches, the same size as my reader's screen.

- I set the top, bottom, left, and right margins to 0.2 inches (the minimum margins allowed by StarOffice).

- I don't include headers or footers with my ebooks since the page numbers are already included on the reader's screen, but you can do this if you want.

- Go into the properties for your document (on the menu bar click on "File" > "Properties") and set the title of your ebook. It is located in the Description tab. The name you type here will be the ebook's name on your reader.

- Save the ebook.

Now, when you page preview your ebook, it will look on the screen exactly as it will look on your reader's screen at the small setting. This will allow you to check for formatting problems so that you can correct them.

Added Information: If you set your view to "Print Layout" the ebook will look the same on your screen as it does on your reader, with the added advantage that you can edit your ebook in this view.

Once your ebook is ready, on the menu bar click on "File" > "Export as PDF" and save the ebook as a PDF. You can now load the ebook on your reader.

If you need to make changes to the ebook (such as wanting it in a larger font), just open the original OpenDocument text file, edit it, and export it as a PDF.

One final note, since the ebook's pages are set it is easy to make a table of contents and place it at the beginning of the ebook. I do this for multi-chapter ebooks. All you have to do is mark the chapter text with a style and then use that to generate the table of contents at the beginning of the ebook.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 01-26-2010 at 03:52 AM. Reason: To provide additional information.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote