View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #1121
vernel1008
vernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Glo
Thumbs up Feature Request

Hi Everyone,

This will be my first post and my first request with Kobo Glo.
I was very happy buying the device but there are some bumps along the way.
I don't know if this were requested before so you may correct me anytime.

1. Highlighting takes a lot of time and very tedious
Since the KG and KT uses infrared tech for the screen sensor, it is much more difficult to properly gauge your touch especially when there are foreign materials that obstruct the infrared receptors on the bezel. Since infrared touch in reality does not need calibration in comparison with capacitive or pressure sensors, it is much more difficult to actually pinpoint a certain pixel in the screen. This is because the four infrared receptors would beam out infrared in four direction to create a grid. Then the blocker which can either be your finger or your whole hand may register the touch. In turn, the blocker's size cannot be standardized making it difficult for the device to actually know what pixel on the screen you really want to touch.

Request: Since we cannot remove or change the infrared sensor on our KT and KG, we may employ a manual cursor on the touch so that we will know what letter or characters we want to highlight. Although it may tend to be slower, at least it would be more accurate

2. Going from one book to another takes a lot of time especially for those who has a Huge Library

I have a Huge Library of sideloaded epubs and PDFs. They tend to get messy nevertheless. But after reading a certain book and I want to switch to another, I have to get back to the Home Screen > Click Library > Click Books > Search Entire Library. The frustrating part of this is the book you wanted to read is just next to what you are currently reading.

Request: Back Button per books. The back button may either register towards the BOOK Section or the Shelves section. This way it would be easier to choose on what to read next.

3. Addition of Clock on books while reading
Request: This is a minor one. I think it would be more convenient to have a clock while reading the book instead of just seeing the Page Numbers. I usually read at night time and I tend to get too immersed with the book. When I look at the clock, it is already 4:00AM

4. Options on what 5 books to show on the Home Screen
The carousel is a very neat (I hope I called it correctly). However it tend to be troublesome especially when you add new books.
Request: Options on what to show on the carousel (based on categories, shelves, recent reads, or recent addition)

5. Official tutorial on how to create or convert EPUB to KEPUB
KEPUB is the best feature for Kobo. Although some of it are server side and DB-driven, if we can convert our EPUB correctly and easily, sideloading will be more efficient and worthwhile (sideloading is my reason for buying KOBO instead of Kindle Paperwhite). Although it is posted that you just need to add the extension .kepub.epub on every EPUB you have, annotation will not be usable. Some instructions are already posted to counter that but still an official instruction is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much

Sincerely,
~vernel
vernel1008 is offline   Reply With Quote